Wednesday 24 August 2011

A Cheap Army?


Combat garden gnomes


A US serviceman has come up with an unusual sideline - selling combat garden gnomes.
US Naval Reserve officer Shawn Thorsson says he came up with the idea because he wanted a military presence in his garden.
The 34-year-old, from Petaluma, California, explains: "I have no formal sculpting training. I've always been fond of tinkering in my workshop though.
"While I was in Afghanistan someone sent me a package of those cheap plastic green army men as a gag.
"Some months later I was out at sea on a container ship and had a lot more down time. I was mulling over what else I could do with little green plastic army men.
"I was also thinking of sculpting out some comical garden gnomes. It didn't take long before these two ideas merged and I started sketching out Combat Garden Gnomes."
Shawn is now selling his combat gnomes on online marketplace Etsy.com - £25 each or painted ones for £35.

No comments: