Horse-rider fined for taking pony into McDonald's after being refused drive-through service
A female horse-rider who was refused service in the drive-through lane of a McDonald’s while in the saddle, subsequently led the animal inside, where it defecated on the floor.
CCTV showed the woman and her daughter taking their pet into the restaurant after they were told they had to tie it up.
But then customers in the restaurant looked on in astonishment as the animal “ended up doing his business on the floor.”
The woman was issued with a fine after the incident at the branch on Bury New Road in Whitefield, Greater Manchester, last Saturday.
Police were called to the scene.
McDonald's said the horse had caused "distress" to customers in the restaurant and insisted they could not serve the rider at the drive-through for "health and safety" reasons.
A statement issued by Greater Manchester Police’s Whitefield Division read: “On Saturday, July 20, police from Whitefield received a call from McDonald's on Fountain Place regarding a woman on horse using the drive thru.
"The staff refused to serve the women due to company policy. The women then took the horse into the restaurant who ended up doing his business on the floor.
"The sight and smell of this caused obvious distress and upset to customers trying to eat, as well as staff members.
"Officers arrived at the location and woman was issued a Fixed Penalty notice for causing alarm & distress to other customers and staff."
A spokeswoman for McDonald's said: "I can confirm that on 20th July a woman allowed her pony to enter our restaurant in Whitefield after being refused service in the drive-thru lane.
"The incident caused distress to customers and disruption for the restaurant and the police issued the woman with a Fixed Penalty notice.
"The health and safety of our customers and staff is our top priority and for this reason we are unable to serve pedestrians, bicycle riders or customers on horseback through the drive-thru."
In March of this year a sea lion pup startled guests in a California luxury hotel after waddling in from a nearby beach, and pitching up at the patio bar.
In November 2010 a koala caused a stir at an Australian pub, after wandering inside on a stormy evening, taking up a position at the bar before falling asleep.