Monday 7 September 2009

The Binmen & A Maggot

Binmen refuse to empty recycling because of maggot

Council binmen refused to empty a recycling box containing a maggot claiming it was against council rules for them to handle "live animals".

John Harlow, 60, a parish councillor, was told the box's contents would only be collected if it was placed in his domestic waste bin.

Mr Harlow, from Leek Wootton near Warwick, said staff at Warwick District Council had displayed and ''overzealous'' attitude.

He said: ''I live in the country and see livestock like sheep, pigs and cattle regularly but there were none in my box.

''It's ridiculous. I pay nearly £2,500 per annum to the council for services. When am I going to get any?

''It is hardly surprising the odd maggot gets into the rubbish when they only collect the bins every two weeks.''

He claims contractors SITA refused to empty it because it contained a live maggot, which had crawled into a rinsed-out dog food tin.

Mr Harlow said: ''I was shocked to be told the only way they would take my recycling away was if I put it in with the rest of my un-recyclable rubbish.

''It's a disgrace when homeowners have gone to the trouble of separating their waste for recycling.''

Warwick District Council has apologised for the binmen's refusal to deal with Mr Harlow's recycling.

……and surprise, surprise….. SITA refused to comment……Well it is a Spanish company after all!!!

No comments: