Wednesday 5 August 2009

Hair Raising

Believe it or not a barber is being prosecuted by an overzealous council for leaving “toxic” hair clippings outside his shop.

Council officials photographed the sacks on the doorstep of Lee Haynes's salon and charged him with three offences under the Environmental Protection Act after finding that he did not have a waste disposal licence.

The 46-year-old has now been accused of breaching the law by failing to ensure the transfer of waste was to an authorised person and not giving an accurate description of the waste and could face a £15,000 fine.

Mr Haynes told magistrates in Bury St Edmunds that his two bags a week contained hair and wrappers from lunchtime sandwiches eaten by his staff.

He told the court that he had been invited by a council refuse worker to cut his hair in return for disposal of the two sacks a week.
"I was approached by a council worker who offered to get rid of the waste and I wanted to ensure that it wasn't fly-tipped - he said he would put it in the skip used by the council on market days." he said.
"It is not a huge factory and I am not sure it counts as controlled waste - it's just hair but the council insist it may have traces of bleach or dye in it."

Caroline Watling, a solicitor for Babergh District Council who brought the case, said that Mr Haynes had been reported because the waste was defined as "toxic or dangerous." and he had "benefitted financially by not employing a registered waste contractor."

Mr Haynes, who represented himself in court, pleaded not guilty to all the charges and the case was adjourned so the council can call two of its environmental protection officers as witnesses.

"Even if I win I won't be able to claim any costs and if I lose I will have to pay the council's costs on top of paying rates on my shop." he added. "So I am actually paying to take myself to court."

Have all the councils gone “stark-raving-mad” in Britain or is it a case of too many employees and not enough work?…..I tend to think the latter!!!!!

No comments: