Thursday 20 December 2012

Oh Bugger!


Reduced to scrap, the classic car that met a lamp post

A classic car restorer has seen the fruits of his labours reduced to scrap after a lamp post fell on his American Lincoln Town Car.

Chris Downes, 26, a father of one, spent £7000 on restoring the 1990 Lincoln to its original condition, after buying it without wheels for £500.
But it was reduced to scrap when a driver struck a concrete lamp post, which toppled and crushed the Sedan.
Mr Downes, 26, said: "I just can't believe it. I'm absolutely gutted.
"It is so unfortunate. I have spent over a year working on the car's suspension and put in a whole new gear box and hydraulics.
"I bought it from a friend who is also a lowrider enthusiast for £500. He had bought it off another enthusiast.
"When I got it, it had no wheels and needed a complete overhaul, so I did all that and I would say overall I have spent around £7,000.
"My partner was at home when the car crashed into the lamp post.
"She runs an embroidery business so didn't hear the bang over the whir of the machines, but she is just as shocked as me.
"For people that know about these cars, they are very special and it is a shame. It was my pride and joy."
Nottinghamshire Police are investigating the crash which happened at 11.30am on Monday.
The Lincoln Town Car was produced by Ford between 1981 and 2011.
It was often converted into a stretch limousine and frequently used as a chauffeured car. Some models came with bulletproofed glass and armoured bodies.

No comments: