Tuesday 6 September 2011

A Game For Kids?


16-year-old skateboarder might earn one million dollars this year

While most of us at the age of sixteen had a couple thousand dollars to our names, professional skateboarder Nyjah Huston has already earned $815,000 in his skateboarding career and this weekend could clear the one million dollar earnings mark to become the youngest skateboarder ever to do so.
Huston is part of the Street League skateboarding tour which was founded by MTV star and skateboarder Rob Drydek. Huston has already won three competitions this season and is looking to claim his second Street League title:
“As far as the money goes, that’s not what I’m tripping on that much,” Huston said in a phone interview. “I just want to win the championship contest because I think it means that much. I don’t want to see someone else walking away with the ring.”
When Huston started competing at the age of eleven, he was most known for his trademark dreadlocks but earlier this year, he decided to cut them off in lieu of being known as the pretty good skateboarder with dreadlocks:
“I didn’t want to be thought of as the kid with dreadlocks for my whole life,” he said. “I felt the time was right. A lot of people thought, like, I could skate so good because of the dreadlocks. That gave me a lot of motivation to win that last Street League.”
“It’s almost like this coming of age, new chapter in becoming an adult superstar. He got sick of being known for his dreads as opposed to being known for his skating,” Dyrdek said.
Thanks to the amount of money he had made this season, he and his parents moved to Orange County, California and Huston is thankful that he gets to do something that he loves:

No comments: